Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The Reversal by Michael Connelly


Michael Connelly is one of my favorite authors. I have been a big fan of Harry Bosch almost from the beginning. I started a few books into his series but have since gone back and caught up. Now I am behind on his more recent books so I'm working on catching up. I hope to be all caught up by the end of this year. When the Lincoln Lawyer came out I was interested in seeing what Connelly was going to do with the character. I knew the story would be well done, because I really like Connelly’s writing and style, but I am not a fan of the courtroom dramas. I have read a Grisham or two and I find them kind of dull so I was worried I would feel the same about Mickey Haller.

I was impressed with how well Connelly writes Haller’s character and the twists and turns that are in these books keep me interested the whole time. This book was amazing for many reasons, but for me the biggest reason was that this book had Bosch and Haller as well as other characters from the two series all in one. I loved seeing the two characters work together on the same case instead of passing in the halls, or calling the other to ask a question. They tend to pop up in the other’s series from time to time, but this was great having them both in one story.

In The Reversal, Haller is asked to be a prosecutor instead of defense on a case that had the verdict reversed based on new evidence. Haller feels this is a losing case the DA doesn’t want to get his name smeared on and he is being set up as a fall guy. When he finds out that the case involves a man who abducted and murdered a little girl he begins to think about his own daughter and he takes the case. I have to admit, I really liked him as a prosecutor instead of the defense attorney. Sometimes a defense attorney can be written so sleazy and really be a character I dislike. There is one of those sleazy defense lawers in this book just FYI. The single piece of evidence that convicted this guy all those years ago was thrown out and now a murder will go free unless Haller can find new evidence and convince a jury he is guilty.

The suspense in this book starts at the very beginning and doesn’t let up. I loved every twist and turn of this and couldn’t put it down. It's been a long time since I have read Connelly and this book reminded me why I liked his writing so much. I can’t wait to move onto the next book of his and get caught up. Bosch and Haller were at the top of their games in this book and the combination made for the perfect cast of characters. I loved this book and could go on for pages about the things I liked about this one but I think I will let you read for yourself if you are interested.

This book will be added to my favorites list and I give this 5 out of 5 stars. If you are a fan of a really well written suspense novel this is the book for you. As I mentioned, I am not a fan of the courtroom drama novels but this was interesting and suspenseful to the very last page. This book can be read on its own but there is reference to some character relationships, and events from previous books that if you haven’t read them you might be a little in the dark, but it isn’t enough to ruin the book. I highly recommend this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment