Friday, April 18, 2014

The Keeper by John Lescroart

It has almost been a year since I started blogging, and when I began I made sure to join Netgalley. I have gotten a lot of great books through them and have gone outside my comfort zone and found some authors I never would have tried otherwise. John Lescroart is one of those authors that I am glad to have found. I had never read his work before but had seen his name around the bookstore. The summary of his last book, The Ophelia Cut, sounded interesting, so I got it and really enjoyed it. That book was listed as a one shot, but there was a lot of reference to something that happened in an earlier book. I spent most of the book lost and trying to figure out what Lescroart was referring to. I decided to take a shot, and I emailed John Lescroart to see which book this was from and if I could get a little clarification on some things. I was shocked when he wrote back the very next day. He was so apologetic and kind in his response. He answered all of my questions and thanked me for my comments and email. This made me really respect him, and when I saw this book was available for review I jumped at the chance to read it.

This book was really interesting. Hal Chase is the prime suspect in the disappearance of his wife. Distraught and at his whit’s ends, he finally seeks a lawyer to make sure he stays in the clear since homicide has been put on the case. Dismas Hardy is just that lawyer, and he brings in his old friend Abe Glitsky to be his investigator to try and find who really kidnapped her. I have seen this kind of plot in movies and Law & Order reruns all the time, but I found as I was reading this that I was putting myself into Hal’s shoes. Would my in-laws jump to the conclusion that I must have killed her if my wife disappeared? What would I do in his situation? Could I really remain calm through the whole thing? I liked that this book really got me thinking about what I would do if I was thrown into that situation. My answers, in case you are wondering are; I would hope my in-laws don’t think me the villain right away, no way in hell would I be calm at all, and I would like to think that I would throw on my deerstalker hat, grab my magnifying glass, and go on the hunt for the true culprit myself. Reality check. I’d probably be rocking in the fetal position in the corner of my bedroom while my kids wonder how far gone I really am.

This book was really well written, and I seemed to fly through it in the limited time I had to read it. I would say this is an easy read for the fact that I was able to get into this book right away, and I didn’t care just how many chapters I read at a time. Lescroart writes some great characters, and in this book it is good to have read earlier books for those character relationships, but the story is a stand-alone. I have now read two books by him, and I wasn’t lost at all in this one. There are plenty of twists and turns throughout the book, but I will admit that there are a few items that were predictable. Maybe that was Lescroart’s intention, or my inner Sherlock was on fire throughout this book, but I still really liked being right. Ok, I'm finished bragging now. This is not a spoiler, but I want to say that the kidnapper was on my radar of suspects since about mid book, but I was still surprised at the reasoning so the ending was not ruined by one of my two suspects being it. Not sure I could be more cryptic there, but I hate spoilers.

This was a great book, and I am so glad I read it. Now with two of his books under my belt I am anxious to read more of his work. I could see him being added to my list of favorite authors very soon if the rests of his books are like this one. I give this book 4 out of 5 stars, and I am almost leaning to 4.5. I really couldn’t stop thinking about this book when I read it or after I finished it.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment