Friday, March 28, 2014

The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater


In an earlier post for The Raven Boys, I mentioned that my wife and I got to meet Maggie Stiefvater at a book signing. She is a really funny and approachable person, and that makes me want to read her books even more. I finished The Raven Boys and thought is was pretty good, but due to a sudden reveal at the end I really wanted to move on to this book. I liked this book more than Raven Boys. This book seems like it was written for guys. Assassins, street racing, nightmares, and drug induced dream therapy was something I could easily see in any Jason Statham movie.

This book revolves around the hunt for a welsh king that Gansey is borderline obsessed with finding. The bulk of this story revolves around Ronan who is tormented by nightmares and has the ability to pull objects from his dreams. While all of this is going on, the Ley Lines that were awakened in the previous book are unleashing a power the boys just can't understand.

I have read a lot of reviews, and many are fangirl gushing, and others bash the writing style, but I have to say that I enjoyed her writing more in this book than the last. In Raven Boys I felt my mind wandering away from the story, but with this one she had more humor and intrigue that held my attention better. I still had my moments where my mind wandered a bit during some of the down times, but for the most part I was focused on the story. I also liked the characters so much better in this book. Raven boys, to me, seems like it's only purpose was to set up Dream Thieves.

The story was very well written and held my attention for the most part. I was also pleased with the end until she threw in that little hook for the next book. Now I have to keep going so I can figure out just what is coming next. She did that in the Raven Boys, so why am I surprised that there was a hook at the end of this one? I am going to give this 4 out of 5 stars. Not often do I think a sequel is better than the first book, but I definitely liked this book more.

As one parting note, I have to mention Maggie Stiefvater's car one more time. I finally understand the reason for the knife blade on the side of it. I know I posted this picture in The Raven Boys post, but I'm going to share this again because this car played a big part in this book. I also think it was really cool that she let fans paint her car, and she still drives it around.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment