Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Green Arrow Vol 4: The Kill Machine by Jeff Lemire


I have always liked Green Arrow. He isn't one of my favorite superheroes, but I always had respect for the character. He is very much like Batman when it came to having billions of dollars and cool gadgets, but Oliver Queen always seemed like the opposite of Batman. Queen seemed to love the party scenes and being every bit the playboy billionaire, but Bruce kept it as low key as possible. Still, I really like the story line that Kevin Smith wrote, and I enjoyed the Green Arrow/Green Lantern Story line as well. When the CW put out Arrow last year I was excited to see a live action version of this character. I really like the show even with all of the changes they have made to the mythos of the character. When I was able to grab this book for an honest review I jumped at the chance. 

I guess I was expecting more from this book than I got. I wasn't a big fan of this story, and the artwork was even worse. DC has had a lot of amazing artists work on their heroes, but I was not a fan of Andrea Sorrentino's work on this book. There was a lot of detail missing and things were overly shadowed to make up for the lack of detail. The people in this book seemed to be the biggest issue I had with the artwork. They just didn't look right to me. I'm not sure how to explain it, but when you read as many comics as I do, you tend to have a specific idea of how you want a story to be drawn. Sorrentino just didn't capture the feel of this book. The only bit of art work I did enjoy was the variant cover done by John Caldwell, and that was just because it made me laugh.  


The plot line of this book seemed like it was still origin story in a way. There was a lot of flashing back to Oliver's father and the island that Oliver was trapped on. I would have thought that all of this would have been wrapped up by volume 4, but I guess they want to drag this one out a bit longer. Oh, and if you are expecting a resolution to this story line with Komodo and the three dragons then think again. This is going to be at least a two book story. You will get to see what happens with the villain Vertigo, but his whole role in this book seemed so small. There was even an issues dedicated mostly to Vertigo's backstory just to make him seem more important, or more human, I'm actually not sure what they were going for with that other than filler.

I didn't hate this, but I wasn't a fan of it either. I will give it 2 stars because it doesn't deserve a 1 star review. I could tell about halfway through that I didn't care for the book because it took me forever to get through. I am so grateful for the opportunity to review this, but first and foremost I have to be honest. I just didn't care for this book. I'm glad I read it, but I won't be rushing to read Vol 5 when it comes out.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't actually started the Green Arrow new 52 yet. Though I do plan on it. I do love the show. Not sure if you are current on the show but I love the mixture of Suicide Squad right now. It is too bad about the art. Seeing the image that you added I can tell that art style isn't for me either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a few episodes behind on this season. My DVR has them ready and waiting when I get some time. I am really enjoying this season.

    I want to go back and read the other Volumes of this series but I kind of hope they are better than this one. Right now I liked the Green Arrow story before the new 52 much better. I hope you enjoy it when you get around to these.

    ReplyDelete