Thursday, January 9, 2014

My Worst Books of 2013

Worst Books I Read in 2013

Everyone has a book or two that just rubbed them the wrong way. I had a few this year, but for the most part 2013 was a great year for books. Currently I am reading a book that could be a good candidate for Worst of 2014, but I am to far invested to give up now. Rarely do I give up on a book. I am stubborn and have to see everything I start through to the end. This past year was the first time I DNF a book because I just didn't want to waste anymore of my time.

This was another NetGalley acquisition that I was really excited to read. I am a huge fan of Sherlock Holmes and the fact that this story was about Conan Doyle and Dr Bell as they solved a mystery of their own excited me. Boy was I wrong. This book was so dull I could barely keep my eyes open while reading. I found my mind wandering as I read this because any other thought was more interesting. I made it over half way through this book and the story just felt stagnant. I couldn't force myself to continue this book because I had a stack of much better options. I doubt I will return to this book to give it another try because I was just that disappointed in the book. I do tend to be over critical of any Sherlock Holmes Pastiche, but thought I was safe since this wasn't a Holmes novel.





It honestly pains me to have  King novel as one of my Worst books of 2013. Both the Best and Worst have been King this year. I wasn't a big fan of Stephen King's till a few years ago. Since I became a "Constant Reader" I have made it my mission to read all of his books. When I read the synopsis of this book I thought it had some great potential to be a suspenseful book. King has this amazing gift to write characters that you feel you have known forever. In the case of this book I hated all of the characters. The main character is not likable at all, and I had a really hard time feeling sympathy for her. The book is about her getting handcuffed to the bed for some adult fun, and her husband dies leaving her trapped. The more I learned about this couple the more I disliked her and the more happy I was to see Gerald dead. I really had a hard time getting through this, but I kept thinking it had to get better. It never did, and now this is one of the Worst books I read last year.



Another painful decision for worst books is yet another Sherlock Holmes book that I just didn't care for. This is a collection of short stories, and I was excited to see what was going to be in this book. All of the stories in this book were terrible except for the one written by the editor Loren D Estleman. One story changed the names of the characters, Sherlock became Schlock, and another made Watson a woman. I have no problem with strong female characters, but someone so iconic as Doyle's Watson shouldn't be changed to that extent. CBS has a show called Elementary, and I can't stand it for many reasons, one of which is also the fact they made Watson a woman. I was really let down by this whole collection and sorry I wasted my time on it. Still I gave this book two stars just because I did like the title novella. Had it not been for Loren D Estleman's novella I would have really hated this book.




I always try to move on after I finish a really terrible book, but these three still irk me just a bit. They stick in the back of my mind still to this day. I'm hopeful to have another year with very few terrible books but I know there is going to be something that will just rub me the wrong way. Of course you will see those reviews as well as the best on my blog through out the year.

As some of you may know, my wife is my editor. She brought up a good point while reading this post. This wasn't her favorite post becuase I was very negative. I'm not usually this negative when I write a review. Even if I hate the book, I try to find some positives. Since I haven't even been blogging for a year yet I'm still trying things out. I'm asking my loyal readers to let me know what you think about this post. Should I do a worst books post again next year, or should I stick to just the best of? I'd really like to know what you all think. 

8 comments:

  1. There are just some bad King book. My mom can't stand The Tommyknockers though I haven't read it myself. I didn't love Bag of Bones (the mini series didn't help either). I see your wife's point about this being a negative post. I always feel bad about negative reviews myself. But I think this is well written (she probably helped). I have seen negative reviews that are just mean. This is one of the reasons that goodreads has banned people from talking badly about authors. People will take negative reviews that should be about the book and just bash the author.

    I also don't love Elementary on CBS but on the other hand just adore Sherlock on BBC/PBS. I can't wait for the new season!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't like Tommyknockers at all but that was a year or two ago when I read it. I know Goodreads has changed things but I never personally attack authors no matter how bad there work was.

      BBC's Sherlock is amazing!!! The acting is great and I love the modern spin on Doyel's classics. They really stay true to the cannon material. Sherlock is yet another thing we have in common. I can't wait for the new season. Waiting almost 3 years was rough.

      Delete
  2. Wow. What a bummer that the two Sherlock books left you cold. I have both, so maybe I'll just save myself some time and not bother reading them. How disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes save your time and sanity and pass these by. Dark Water was slow and dry, and I was really disappointed with how some of the authors treated Doyle's characters.

      Delete
    2. Did you read The House of Silk? Just finished that. A good Holmes book.

      Delete
    3. I did and I loved that one. I read it right when it came out and was impressed how Horowitz captured Watson's voice.

      Delete
  3. I had forgotten about Dark Water. It was a DNF for me because, yeah, nothing was going on. I actually read worse than Sons of Moriarty. It did have a bright spot or two, but it would have been a much more satisfying anthology if it hadn't included some of the more far-flung stories.

    Worst Of lists are kind of interesting and I'm generally of the opinion that grumpy reviews are as important as positive ones. But wouldn't it be nice if all books could be good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who didn't finish Dark Water. You are so right about that book. I have read worst than Sons of Moriarty too. I read a book where an author re wrote one of Doykes stories and set it in Florida and it was Sherlock Holmes the 4th who was solving crimes. I was so mad at the blatant rip off I wanted to throw my Kindle across the room and against the wall.

      Delete