Monday, January 27, 2014

Monkey Me and the Golden Monkey by Timothy Roland


I love to read to my kids when I get the chance. Lately I have been working 2 jobs, so I'm never home. I work six days out of the week, and four of those days I am at both jobs. I feel like such a horrible parent because I'm not home and when I am I'm dead tired. Even though I don't have a lot of time to read to my son right now I am always looking for good children's books to read to my son. Scholastic was kind enough to let me read this when I requested it on NetgGalley, and I am so glad they did. I really loved this book. It was so cute and the perfect book for my 4 year old. 

This book is about a boy with a lot of energy, and like any boy he is always hungry. While visiting the museum he sees a bowl of fruit that is supposed to have been treated to make each piece huge. Grabbing a banana he rushes off to see the dinosaurs and munch that banana before anyone realizes it is gone.  This banana may have been treated to make it larger but that's not the only thing this yellow fruit had. Gamma radiation caused Clyde to turn into a monkey when he gets over excited. 

The story is really cute. Clyde not only gets into monkey mischief when he turns into the monkey, but he also helps to catch a thief who stole the Golden Monkey from the very museum Clyde took the enhanced banana. There are a lot of pictures on every page, and when Clyde turns into the monkey the story shifts to a comic strip. Here is an example of the art and comic strips in this book.


 I read this to my 4 year old son, 8 month old daughter and my wife. Sitting in the kids' room reading to everyone was one of the best nights I have had with my family in a little while. We all enjoyed this story and I have to pick up the next book in this series. This is a great book to read to your kids if you have some time. It said it was about 86 pages but we read this in one sitting before bed. 

This is a great early reader book to read to your kids or to get for your own early reader. I think I will even have to go out and buy the paperback copy of this so my son can read it himself once his reading skills improve. For now I am very happy to have had the time to read this, and I hope that I can continue to find great children's books to read to my kids. This is easily 4.5 stars out of 5, so for the purpose of reviewing this on Goodreads and Amazon I will round up to 5 stars. 

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy children's books, too. Believe it or not, I can still almost recite Mr. Brown Can Moo in full. You probably aren't aware of this, but when we were in Princeton for that month in July, we visited the children's library (contained within in the Firestone Library -- the main library on campus), and it was stunning to see the modern day children's books along with those from the 18th century.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a cute one and I'm really glad Scholastic let me get it through NetGalley. I will be readin the other books in this series when they come out. All of us enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete