Sunday, January 5, 2014

2014 Goals and The Best of 2013



January is always a time of reflection for me as well as a time to set goals. Most of my goals fall by the wayside as the year goes on as do many peoples', but I at least set goals. Part of my goal setting is what I want to read this year. Most of us avid readers have an idea of what we want to read in the coming year, and the rest is just happy accident. Before I get into my favorites and worst books of 2013, I am going to set some goals.

Goals:
For the past few years I have been wanting to re-read all of Jeffery Deaver's books. After years of searching and hunting I have almost all of them in hardcover first editions, but I also have the two books he doesn't have in his list of works. These were his very first books that are no longer in print because he is not a fan of them, but after a ton of searching, my self and my mother found affordable copies of these for my collection. Both books have now been signed by Deaver himself. This year I want to start my re-read. I will have to step away occasionally to read his new books coming out, but I want to start at the beginning again.

I have also read the first five books in the Dresden Files series, and I love them. Other books have come out, and I took a break from the series this past year, but now I want to try to catch up. I'm sure Jim Butcher has another one set to come out this year, and I want to be able to read it as soon as I can.

My final goal for this year that I am setting now is to read the rest of Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes. I have read most of the collections and novels, but I still have three books left to read. If I can, I want to read those this year as well. My reading time will be severely limited for a few months, but hopefully after that I will be back devouring as many books as I can. My goals seem a bit daunting this year so far.

Best Books of 2013!!!


I loved this book. I am a huge fan of Deaver's. He is my favorite author, but this book especially blew me away. The October List is not a book for everyone because it is written in reverse. It was tough at first to keep up because you know what happens in one chapter and then the next chapter is everything that leads up to what you just read. Once you get used to it the story is amazing. Even thought you know the ending in the first chapter Deaver still out smarted me and had more than enough of his classic twists and turns to give me goosebumps as I read through it. This book left me with severe book hangover. I hated to see this one end, but I couldn't seem to put it down. It is one of the best mystery/suspense novels I have ever read and is in my top 5 favorites of all time. If you decide to pick this up I advise you to stick with it through the first few chapters. If you aren't accustom to the way it is written by then, it might not be for you.



This book was better than I expected. Sequels can be horrible because they never live up to the expectations we had after reading the first book. When I read The Shining I was a little let down because it wasn't nearly as scary as I had hoped, but I loved that book because of the story. The same happened with Doctor Sleep. King himself said he just wanted to write a book that would scare the shit out of his readers. Maybe I have read enough King that I am desensitized to some of the horror, but I wasn't scared of this book like I was when I read IT. As I read this book I fell in love with the story and the characters. I thought that King did an amazing job tying this in with The Shining while still making this a book that could stand on its own. To any fan of King I would say if you haven't read this go get it now. You will not be disappointed.




This was one of the books I judged purely on the cover. I saw this around Goodreads, and there were a few really positive reviews. Then I joined NetGalley, and it was available there to read right away. I didn't know what to expect when I started it. Was it horror, Sci-Fi, or a Mystery? As I got further into the book I found that this book was a little of all of those. The idea of an apartment building with hidden secrets and some of the most interesting tenants working together to figure out the place was really good. It took a little while to get going, but there was never a point that I felt the plot or writing dragged. Once I hit the half way point I was hooked, and I couldn't wait to find out all the building was hiding. I had never heard of this author or the book until Goodreads and NetGalley had it. This was one of the best random book picks I had all year.





Those are just some of the best books I have read this year, and I can't wait to see what surprises me this coming year. I am really hoping there are some great hidden gems that I haven't discovered yet. We'll have to see.

5 comments:

  1. My experience with 14 was similar. I was looking for something on the horror end and it was Read Now on NetGalley... I didn't expect much and was so surprised. I've not read any Deaver. I'll have to give him a look and The October List sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more I talk about 14 the more people who have had the same experience we did. It was a great surprise.

      Deaver is an amazing author. You should give him a try if you like mysteries. This one is a one shot but he has two series. Bone Collector is the first in the Lincoln Rhyme series and Sleeping Doll is the first in the Kathryn Dance series. Both are great reads.

      Delete
  2. I am on page 1 of The October List (or should that be page 304?)! Glad it's on your list. More excited to dig into it now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you are excited about the October List now. It was an amazing book. Did you read my full review? I can't wait to hear what you think of the book once you finish.

      Delete
    2. No, I try to avoid reviews on things I want to read / see. I'll certainly come back to it after though!

      Delete