Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Jim Butcher's Dresden Files: Ghoul Goblin by Jim Butcher


A little over a year ago I decided to step out of my comfort zone and try the Dresden Files series. I am not a fan of Sci-Fi/Fantasy other than The Lord of the Rings. A bunch of my friends on Goodreads kept raving about how great this series was, and I was intrigued by the description of the first book. I love detective stories, and these are written like a noir detective novel but with magic, vampires, and faeries. The writing was great, and the one liners Harry Dresden kept throwing out where hilarious. I was hooked from book one.

When I found out there were comics based off the books, I couldn't get to my library fast enough to get them. There are more I need to read, but a little while ago I was on Netgalley and saw the new Dresden Files graphic novel available. I downloaded it and couldn't wait to loose myself in the world Jim Butcher builds. Thank you Netgalley and Dynamite publishing for allowing me to read this. There are a bunch of books in the Dresden File series that I haven't read, so I am not sure if this is based on one of them, so for me this is an individual story and very well done.

In this book Harry is approached by a small town sheriff who has some violent and strange murders on his hands. Harry is interested in finding out what is going on and makes a trip outside of Chicago fighting the flu and a recent battle with a water creature. The story was pretty good. My attention was held all the way through, and I did enjoy this. I didn't think this was as good as some of the books I have read in the past, but this was a fun read. The art work in this book isn't bad, but not as good as it has been in previous comics adaptations. This book didn't have the same feel to the Dresden character that I picture in my head and has been in other comics.

I have read so many amazing graphic novels this year that when I compare this to those I feel this book could have been better. The story could have been a bit stronger, and the art work could definitely been better. Still, I liked this book, and I am so glad I got the opportunity to read this. I can't wait for the next Dresden Files comic to come out. I am going to give this book a solid 3 out of 5 stars.  This is for any fan of the Dresden Files books and comics, but if you are a fan of comics and not Jim Butcher's big series this is not where I would start.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this! As soon as I am done with the book I am on now I will be starting this. I am glad to know the story is good... I think I have only read up to book 6 so I am glad I don't have to have read the entire series to get into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only read the first 5 books. I really want to try to catch up in 2014. This was a good book and I enjoyed it. I can't wait to read what you think when you get to this one.

      Delete