Saturday, December 28, 2013

Doctor Sleep by Stephen King


I started this book right when it came out. I was waiting a long time because Doctor Sleep was originaly set to come out in January 2013, but then it was pushed back to September. I made it a little over half way through the book when I had to take quite a break from reading due to life changing events. It always bothered me not having time to pick up this book because the story was really good and I was hooked. Plus I hate leaving things unfinished. I was so glad when things calmed down, and I was able to jump back into this. I couldn't put it down. That break gave me new excitement to find out which road King would lead me down next. Once it was finished I decided I needed to take some time and really think over what I wanted to say about this book. After a few days of thinking about it I am still at a loss for words.  I loved this book, and I wasn't sure I was going to. Sequels can be a let down sometimes.

I have only been reading King for a few years now. My first King novel was The Cell and I loved that one. I was hooked instantly. When Lisey's Story came out the following year, I jumped at the chance to get it. That book killed King for me, so I didn't bother reading anymore for a long time. Three years ago a bunch of friends started telling me how great the Dark Tower series is, and I was willing to give it a try. With how many people said they loved this series I decided that I had to read it for myself. Those books made me the die hard "Constant Reader" I am today. Since reading those I have made it my mission to read all of his work and collect some select titles in hardcover. Last year  I decided to read The Shining in preparation of this book. It was also January, and I figured that was the perfect time to read The Shining while snow fell outside. I really liked The Shining but it wasn't as scary as I had expected. It didn't scare me like  IT and Salem's Lot. Still, it was a really good story. Doctor Sleep was the same for me. Not scary, but a wonderful story filled with real, likable characters that had me hooked from the very beginning.

I loved this book!!! It was a thrill to see Danny Torrence as an adult who tried so hard not to follow in his father's footsteps but ended up just like him. The other main character in this book,  Abra, was so well written that I loved every time she was featured. Abra is a teenage girl who has the shine so strong that she has powers and abilities that rival those of Danny himself. The way King writes characters is amazing. He makes you feel like each one is a close friend you have known all your life. It really allows me to get into his books.

There really is so much to love about this book. I could probably go on for pages. Some of the things I really enjoyed was reading more about the "Shine". We get to see more of what this can do in both Danny and Abra. King also introduces us to a group of travelers who call themselves the True Knot. These people feed off of the shine and are becoming a threat to Abra. This book was really fast paced, and I was hooked from the very beginning. I will say that this can be read alone if you haven't read The Shining, but it will spoil the ending of The Shining, and there are some references that you might miss out on as well. Dr. Sleep is not one of King's scarier stories, but it was amazingly written, and I actually would love to know more about Abra or even the True Knot. King could do a whole book on the True Knot, and I would be fine with that. Maybe down the road he will wonder about what Abra is up to and write a book featuring her. Like King did, Danny is one of those characters that as soon as I finished The Shining I wondered what would become of him. This book is definitely one of my favorites, and I give this an enthusiastic 5 out of 5 stars. I would say this is a must read for any Stephen King fan.

One last thing before I end this review. I am usually not a fan of book trailers. I think they are cheesy and a good book should speak for itself. If I am not captivated by reading the dust jacket  or the description on Goodreads then a trailer is not going to get me to read it. That being said, I really think the Doctor Sleeep trailer was pretty cool. It has some things that having read the book I picked up on. It was also rather creepy to watch. So I decided to include it here. If you haven't seen the trailer then check it out.


4 comments:

  1. I want to read this but I haven't read the shining!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could read this without having read the Shining. You would miss some of the references and it would spoil the ending of the Shining. However, if you watch the Kubrick movie or the TV adaptation, you already know how the Shining ends.

      Thanks for checking out my review.

      Delete
  2. Stephen King fans will rejoice. (I am only partly one because I believe he is a douche for his political beliefs). There are a few disturbing scenes in the book but King does not flinch and sugar coat evil.

    However, contrary to what the book declares repeatedly, you need to have seen and/or read King's book "The Shining" to really appreciate the story line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a fan of King's politics but he is an amazing writer so I try to look past those opinions.

      I will agree that to really enjoy Doctor Sleep you need to have read the Shining, but I still think it can be read on its own and still be a very good book.

      Delete