Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Star Trek Vol 6: After Darkness by Mike Johnson


 I really wish I had read the earlier volumes first. I loved both of the recent Star Trek movies and recently I found that they have a comic book series based off of them. When I saw this was going to follow the movie I thought it would be a lot of fun to continue the story after Into Darkness ended. What I didn't expect was how much would be referenced from previous volumes. A little part of the story revolved around a secret army that Admiral Marcus was creating, but then there was an encounter with Gorn that I missed.

Even thought the synopsis says this is a continuation of the movie, there was very little that had to do with the Klingons and repercussions from events that happened in the movie. Instead this revolves around Spock and his delayed puberty or Pon Far as the Vulcans call it. Even though it wasn't what I expected I enjoyed this story a lot. Even though this wasn't at all what I expected the action of the story line made this a worthwhile read.

Spock is overcome by his emotions because he is half human. Pon Far is taking a much greater toll on him and his rage becomes uncontrollable. He breaks free of restraints and it is up to Krik to and the crew of the enterprise to find him and help him, otherwise he would be lost forever.

There are a few other little story lines that happen in this graphic novel, but I didn't care to much about them. It didn't detract from my enjoyment of the book. The art work was pretty good in this book. The characters are drawn as the actors from the movies and some were drawn better than others. It isn't the best artwork in a comic I have seen but I have seen worse.

I liked this book and I am glad I read it. I will give this book 3 stars. I might have rated it higher is the art work was better and the other story lines were interesting enough to make me want to rush out when Vol 7 is available. For now I am content having read this but not to interested in continuing the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment