Tuesday, November 12, 2013

I'm still here.... (Sort of)






Anyone who reads my blog fairly regularly must have noticed that it has been pretty quiet around here lately. For that I am sorry. I really miss writing these posts, and I miss reading even more. I haven't been able to pick up a book in awhile.

There is big news in my life these days!!! After years of looking for a new job I have finally landed a good one. I have hated working in a retail setting and I have been desperately trying to get a big boy job. I have been in retail for 14 years now and actively looking for something else for a little over six years now. Last Monday I started my new job, but it has taken a lot of my time. I will not have health benefits until January, so I am working my old job part time until then so I can keep my family insured. From now to January I am studying for two certification exams that I will take to keep my new job. This means I am studying like crazy and have yet to actually do what I was hired for.

I am so overwhelmed by it all, and I haven't had time to read anything other than my study materials. Currently I'm over halfway through Doctor Sleep, and it is killing me not being able to continue. It's really good at this point. I'm also close to halfway finished with Insugent which is a series I put off reading until now, and it is enjoyable. There are also a few graphic novels I have sitting in my to-read pile as well that are collecting digital dust. I'm going crazy not being able to read for fun, or blog, or participate in the memes that I look forward to every week.

All I can ask is hang in there. I hope to at least finish the books I'm reading at some point or read the graphic novels, because I can usually read those in under a half hour. Those reviews will of course be posted here. I also had a lot of fun with my Halloween Week, so I am hopeful I can do the same thing for Christmas. There are movies my wife and I watch every Christmas season that I would love to review and talk about with anyone who has seen them. I'm hopeful that studies calm down enough, or I have confidence to back off a bit to write a few reviews.

I still want to blog, and I still love doing it, so don't think this is the end. I'm not burnt out at all, and I am really missing this. I will not be like so many bloggers who get burnt out and stop writing and that's it. I hope to at least have some sort of presence here again soon, so I can keep things interesting to those of you who read me. Wish me luck with my studies, and I hope to be back soon. I'm just on a bit of a hiatus for now. 

6 comments:

  1. I understand about life! Finding time to read can be hard. With the holidays coming and company coming over I will probably get a little behind on my reading too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are one of my most loyal readers and I knew you would understand. Like you I noticed a lot of blogs I used to follow are just gone. I don't want to fall into that obscurity.

      I hope your reading doesn't suffer as much as mine has though.

      Delete
  2. Awesome about your new job! And, wow, you're definitely juggling a few things. Good luck and hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pride myself in being able to deal with a lot on my plate and still come out ok. Right now things are really tough but I know I will get through this. Thank you so much for the well wishes. I really hope to get back into my blogging full force in the new year.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on the new job! I worked in retail for 7 years, so I understand how you feel!! I loved the people I worked with but I hated the hours, salary & politics. So congratulations on your new job and good luck with your certification!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the well wishes. Retail is great for some people but I never saw a career out of it. The economy has made it very hard for me to find a job since I have no corporate experience. Finally someone sees my potential and I really hope I can do well in this new position.

      Thanks for reading my blog. It really feels great to know that people actually read these random thoughts of mine. Have a great week.

      Delete