Friday, November 1, 2013

Halloween Hangover, and R.I.P. Wrap Up


The Halloween Hangover; this isn't because of having to much to drink the night before and now suffering from bad decisions. I mean the day after Trick-or-Treating, binge candy eating, and lack of sleep. When I was a kid I can remember trying to stay out as late as I could and fill my pillowcase with as much free candy as possible. By the end of the night my knees hurt, I was usually cold and wet (since it usually is cold and rainy here in Missouri on Halloween), and my tummy hurt from an over eating of candy.

These days the feeling is a little different. Now that I have kids of my own I am so excited to chase my son from house to house as his excitement flows out of him. Watching him run in his costume and laugh like a crazy person is intoxicating. After Trick-Or-Treating we dug through the candy to throw away any open or damaged candy, and all enjoyed a piece (or two) and then it was off to bed. Today I'm tired, my knees hurt and I really shouldn't have had that second Halloween cupcake at my Aunt's house before we went home.Even after all of that I can't wait to do this all again next year.

Halloween is my favorite holiday. I love the weather changing to cold and the leaves turning on the trees. Carving pumpkins and my wife baking anything she can with pumpkin in it is something I look forward to every year. I also have an excuse to watch tons of horror movies and read scary stories. This year I started blogging in July and was pointed in the direction of the Readers Imbibing Peril challenge hosted by Stainless Steel Droppings. This was the perfect challenge for me and I had a blast doing it. This challenge consists of reading any type of Mystery, suspense, thriller, horror, supernatural, and fantasy books or short stories. There was a group read that I didn't have time to participate in this year but might try to next year. For this challenge you could also include your reviews for any type of spooky movies or shows. This was something that I really got excited about and I actually did quite a bit for this challenge.

Book wise I read:
Sons of Moriarty and More Stories of Sherlock Holmes by Loren D Estleman
Locke and Key Vol 5: Clockworks by Joe Hill
Joyland by Stephen King
The October List by Jeffery Deaver




I started Doctor Sleep by Stephen King and I am over half way finished, but I wasn't able to finish before the end of the challenge. Still it has been the perfect creepy book for this time of year and I am really enjoying it. Keep an eye out for my review here once I finish.

I love scary movies and it was a blast to be able to include my movie reviews as part of this challenge. I watched a bunch of Horror movies this year but not as many as normal. Having a little one command your attention and a very disappointing World Series to watch and cuss at took time away from my horror movie viewing.

Movies I watched and reviewed for this challenge were:
Evil Dead (2013)
Sinister (2012)
A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)
Friday the 13th (2009)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)
Rob Zombie's Halloween (2007)

I would have watch a bunch more but these and their originals are my favorites and I make sure to watch them every year. This was one of the best Halloweens I have had and I can't wait for next year. One of these days I will be able to decorate my home outrageously scary and pass along my morbid weirdness to my kids. I'm already thinking about ideas for next years Jack-O-Lantern, and costume ideas if we are able to throw a Halloween party.

Alas, it is time to put Halloween behind me and begin gearing up for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and normal life. It was wonderful to share my favorite time of year with everyone here on my blog and with the R.I.P. challenge. The last thing I will leave you with is a picture of our Jack-O- Lantern. My son was so proud to have designed this pumpkin. I would have preferred scarier, but he picked out the eyes, nose, and mouth to make the face he wanted. Hope everyone who takes part in Halloween had a great day and I look forward to having Halloween Week here next year.





8 comments:

  1. I love Halloween! I love to see all the Halloween posts! I was totally bummed this year though. I don't have kids so I get joy out of seeing kids come trick or treating at my house and see their costumes. I had TWO trick or treaters. Yea that's right TWO. I think a lot of kids now a days go to those trunk or treats and don't really go door to door anymore. Which is sad. But I suppose things change.

    Great job on RIP VIII!!! You really got a lot done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. Before my son was old enough to go out we just stayed home. I always have candy for Halloween but living in an apartment we don't get any trick or treaters. I gave up and now it's more fun to go out and eat the candy myself.

      Sorry you only had two trick or treaters. Maybe next year.

      Delete
  2. Hmm, I'm not usually a fan of new stories about classic characters, but "Sons of Moriarty" does have an intriguing sound to it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very critical of any work about Sherlock Holmes, but I love new stories with these characters. This book was not very good and most of it irritated me. Good luck if you choose to check it out. There are other Holmes stories that were done much better.

      Thanks for stopping by my blog in always appreciate the visitors.

      Delete
  3. I love the little guy's pumpkin! I think he did a fine job putting the various elements together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He definitely had a bigger roll in the design process this year and he is still really proud of it.

      Delete
  4. It was a great event this year! I also love Halloween and all the decorations and trick a treating.
    I really fancy reading Joyland but my next Stephen King, like you is Dr Sleep. I haven't started it yet but I'm really looking forward to it.
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doctor Sleep is really good but not very scary. I had hoped it would have given me nightmares like IT did but not yet. Hope you enjoy it and Joyland is one of my favorite books. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete