Monday, November 4, 2013

Divergent by Veronica Roth


Normally I am not a big fan of YA. I read the Hunger games and really liked it so I try to keep an open mind and trust in my wife's judgement when picking up a YA title. I also like Dystopian style books so I was curious as to what this one was about and figured it would be worth try. Tons of people I know have read it and loved this series so it has sat on my to-read list for a long time. Just recently the reserve my wife set up at the library came in and  we decided this was as good a time as any to read this together.

I have thought a lot about what I was going to say in this review and here it is; I liked it, but I am not really sure why. Has this ever happened to you? I really liked the book once it got to the ending and I am anxious to read the next, but other than that I am just lost as to what all I should say. Here are some thoughts I had while reading this and I hope I can get a decent review from these.

First of all, I'm surprised that I ended up liking this as much as I did. Most of the book for me was boring and slow moving. There was a lot of character development that needed to be there to set up the series and I understand that, but I felt it needed more action. It wasn't until about three quarters through the book that I finally got sucked in and couldn't put this down. I'm glad I stuck with it because if I would have just DNF this book I would have missed a great ending. My stubbornness won out on this one. The end was very fast passed but  at times felt a little rushed. The story took an interesting turn and that was enough to make me rush out to the library and pick up book two as soon as I could. I have it but still haven't started it just yet.

I did like the characters, even though the whole teen romance thing is lost on me. I was a nerd in high school and never had any dates so I skipped the whole  emotional roller coaster, for the most part. I still remember my teen years being horrible but that is neither here nor there. Tris is a very likeable character and I tended to compare her to Katniss from Hunger Games. I wanted to know what was going to happen to here next. Being from a different faction she took a lot of abuse from other initiates and I felt for her. I wasn't beat up in high school but I did take quite a bit of abuse back then so I connected with Tris in this aspect. With Tris's character there was just enough mystery about her and other characters that made me want to learn more.

Overall I liked this book once I finished. I am going to give this 3.5-4 stars. Aside from the ending feeling rushed and the bulk of the beginning being a slow read, this was still worth rating so highly and I'm glad I pressed on. Can't wait to see what is next in book two.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you read this and liked it. Though ... now I am curious to see if you like the next book in the series. I didnt like the second book as much, but that usually happens in the middle book in a trilogy for me. So we'll see what you think! Here is my review, though it's from when I first started blogging so it's not great! LOL! http://angelasanxiouslife.blogspot.com/2011/09/divergent-by-vreonica-roth-review.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had no time to read so I'm only a quarter of the way through book two. So far I will agree it isn't as good as I expected. However, the first book took a long time to get me hooked. I'm curious to see if I enjoy it as much as this one. I'll let you know whenever I can finish this.

      Delete