Thursday, October 31, 2013

Rob Zombie's Halloween (2007)


Since today is Halloween I figured this would be the perfect movie to end Halloween week.  Last night we carved our pumpkin and today my son is anxiously waiting to put on his costume and rush out to see how much candy he can get before he tires out. He is three so he tires pretty fast, but all that matters is that he has a great time.It is a lot of fun to go out with him and see how happy he is to get candy. My son is always a little shy at first but after about two houses he is running to the next house. Come back next year when I do Halloween week again and review the original versions of the movies I did here. For those of you that celebrate Halloween, I wish you a Happy Halloween and hope you have half as much fun as I hope to today. 

I'm a big fan of Rob Zombie and when he started to make movies I was excited to see what he would come up with. I really liked House of a 1000 Corpses, and Devils Rejects. When I saw he was going to be doing the remake of one of the most iconic horror movies I couldn't wait to see it. John Carpenter is a genus and I love his original, but I wanted to see what Zombie would do with today's special effects and his dark imagination.


For the most part this is a scene for scene remake of the original and that was really cool for me. Rob Zombie definitely paid homage to Carpenter and I feel, did the movie justice. However, Rob Zombie did make this movie his own by adding to the legend that is Michael Myers with a more in depth back story. In this movie we finally get a glimpse of why Michael is the way he is. The original leaves the story at a kid killed his family and now as an adult seeks to kill the remaining member of his family. Zombie takes it further and shows us the horrible home life Michael lived with as a child. His mother is a stripper, some violently abusive man lives with him and his two sisters, and his older sister only cares about herself and her boyfriend.

Zombie shows us a much darker look to Michael's childhood as well as his slow progression from killing small animals to finally snapping and offing his family. The back story was done so well in this movie that I actually felt bad for Michael Meyers. It didn't excuse what he was doing, but I felt for the poor kid and the hand he was dealt. Only Rob Zombie could make you feel sorry for a serial killer. Another aspect of the back story was Michael's time in the asylum. While there his second personality, the one where he wears the mask takes over. He began to create different paper machete masks during his free time in his room at the asylum. These were just so creepy to see, because some of them are so child like that you would think any normal child made them. Here is a picture of Rob Zombie on the set with all the different masks Michael made hanging on the walls. It is hard to see the detail of each mask, but at least this way you can see the detail they went into for the set.


The casting was perfect for this movie, Tyler Mane is a huge guy and was, I think, the best choice to remake Michael Myers. He had this menacing feel to him and that was when he wasn't hacking up people who got in his way. Of course zombie has his friends pop up in different roles but I really enjoy seeing which one of his regulars show up and in what characters. The only regular missing from this movie was Bill Mosley and he was in a scene with the sheriffs that got cut. It was in the bonus footage, but he didn't make it to the final movie.

I loved this remake, and it was possibly because I am such a fan of Rob Zombie. I am a huge fan of the original and I still felt this was a great remake unlike a lot of fans who just didn't seem to enjoy Zombie's extra back story. I have read a lot of bad reviews, and a lot of good ones so I would say if you are interested in watching this do it. Make your own decisions as to whether you like it or not. I loved it and this is high on my list of all time favorite horror movies. Obviously I give this 5 stars.

This will be my final submission for the Readers Imbibing Peril Challenge. I had a blast doing this challenge and I am really sad to see this end. Carl at Stainless Steel Droppings put this on and I can't wait to do this again next year. I love mystery, horror, and suspense novels so the book part of this challenge was easy. I also love that I can include my movie reviews. I love movies almost as much as I do books so I liked that I can include these in that challenge as part of the Peril on the Screen.


2 comments:

  1. Great write-up! I am not a fan of the spooky film, as you know, but I enjoyed reading this entry. Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the post. I realize a lot of what I write about isn't your taste but I am always happy you read them.

      Delete