Thursday, October 24, 2013

Grimm Fairy Tales Presents: Zombies and Demons by Troy Brownfield


Let me put this out there first. I didn't choose this because of the cover art. This was not the cover that was on Netgalley when I requested this title. All I really wanted was a good zombie book since the Walking Dead came back on TV. I was first introduced to the Grimm Fairy Tales graphic novels with their version of Sleepy Hollow. That book was amazing, and I really liked it, so when I saw that they did a Zombies and Demons book I figured I would give it a try. I like zombies, I even like demon tales from time to time. This book for me was kind of a let down.

Since this is broken down into two separate stories I will review each section starting with the Zombies portion.  This wasn't so bad, but I wanted more than a Romeo and Juliet meet George Romero. A slave falls in love with the plantation owner's daughter, and all hell breaks loose. The plantation owner hunts them down by raising the dead to find them. I wont spoil the rest of the story, but that is about it. All three issues and that is pretty much the plot. The story was pretty good, but I wanted more depth and more Zombies.

The second part of this book is the demons part. I thought this was boring and really needed to not be so rushed. In this book one main demon, who's name I forget already, is trying to raise this mega demon by bringing together the seven deadly sins. The sword wielding heroine of this story is tasked with fighting things that go bump in the night. She is troubled through the whole story because she fell in love and wants to be with this guy but can't because he would be in harms way. This story line is as old as time and really bored me. I was expecting so much more after reading Sleepy Hollow and loving it.

The art work is pretty decent in this book and thankfully helped where the story fell short. It seems like this was drawn by different artists because the style did vary from issue to issue. I was planning on giving this three stars but the more I think about it, and the further I get in this review the more I feel it is just a 2, maybe 2.5 star kind of book. I didn't hate it, but then again it was just an ok read. This hasn't put me off the Grimm Fairy Tales presents titles, and I will continue to seek out new ones that might interest me. I must thank the publisher for allowing me to read this for an honest review. 

2 comments:

  1. It looks cool... too bad the story wasn't great. I have heard of these titles and been interested in checking them out!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Sleepy Hollow was the best I have read so far, but I really want to read the Alice in Wonderland. This was kind of disappointing.

      Delete