Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Green Lantern Vol 3: The End by Geoff Johns


All good things must come to an end and all questions I had have been answered. When I started on the Green lantern books after the New 52 started I was hooked. I just read Green Lantern: Rise of the Third Army. That book compiled all of the Green Lantern books into one story, but it ended in the midst of a huge battle. This doesn’t pick up during that battle so I’m anxious to see how that ends, but this book does bring an end to a lot of question I had. Who was the first Lantern, why are the Guardians out to destroy all they have built, and where is Hal Jordan?

The story line does come to an end, but it made me wish I knew what all happened in the background. This book revolves around Hal Jordan, Simon Baz, and Sinestro. I do hope they make a volume 2 to The Rise of the Third Army. If not I will wait anxiously for the graphic novel release of Green Lantern Corps and other books to fill in the gaps.

Simon Baz is new to being a Green Lantern. He has one task and that is to find Hal Jordan and bring him back. Forgive me if there is stuff I have said before, but this book and several others all revolve around the same story. The Guardians have cut themselves off completely from all emotions, and even purged Ganthet from his small remaining ties to his emotions. It is this complete lack of feeling that brings them to create the Third Army and make the universe into what they want.

The writing is outstanding in this book and I would expect no less from Geoff Johns. He is by far my favorite comic book writer with Scott Snyder a close second. Geoff Johns is such an amazing writer when it comes to the Green Lantern books that I never worry about a story line when he is at the helm. The artwork is also amazing with scenes that fill both pages. It makes for one amazing picture that tells a story all its own without any words.

I can’t really say all the amazing things I liked about this book because I don’t want to spoil a single panel for any potential readers. If you have been a fan of the Green Lantern series this is absolutely a must read. We get to see characters that I have loved for years and how they struggle with the current events. There is a lot of emotion in this story for long time fans and I found myself switching from goose bumps to almost tears at times.  With all of that being said, this wasn’t as enjoyable as other graphic novels but a solid 4.5 of 5 stars. This book started off a bit on the slow side but once it hit the midway point the story just took off and didn’t let up till the end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment