Monday, August 12, 2013

Unseen by Karin Slaughter


I really like Karin Slaughter. I have been a fan for only a few years now and I have a good bit of her early work to catch up on, but when ever she puts out a new book I have to read it. The first book I read of hers was Fallen, and I have read each new book in order as they come out. While doing that I am also reading her books from the beginning to catch up. 

Karin Slaughter is an amazing character writer. I have been a fan of Dr Sara Linton since the very first book. I love reading all the adventures and turmoil in her fictional life. When I read Fallen I was introduced to her and Will Trent.  Will’s character has so much depth and hidden secrets I still learn something new about him with each book. I have yet to read the beginning of his series, but I am really looking forward to it. When it comes to her characters I almost enjoy what’s happening between each character more than the main plot. Sara and Will’s relationship is tested in this book and sad as it is to say, I was really afraid how things were going to turn out. Whether there is a resolution or not I leave that to you to find out yourself.

Unseen was amazing!!! I can’t believe it took me so long to get through even though it held my attention through every chapter. In this book Will is undercover as an ex con to try and get close to a drug boss called Big Whitey. While trying to get in close to the organization he gets caught in the middle of an attack on local cops. One of the cops knows him and Will has to hope she will keep his secret and his cover in tact. The story was very well done and I couldn’t wait to see what happened next. Reality did intervene and my time to read was limited. I was frustrated that I couldn’t keep going. As soon as I would get into the story again I had to put it down.

The only complaint I have with this book is the fact that the time frame changes from chapter to chapter. This is really just a small complaint, because I would still rate this a solid 4 out of 5 stars. I just felt as soon as the tension would build Karen Slaughter would switch to a month prior and I was left hanging waiting to read what happens next. The story shifts between the events that are happening with Will undercover in the present, and a raid that Officer Lena Adams was in charge of about a month before all of this. Normally I don’t mind interludes with back story that fills in gaps, but this didn’t seem to flow well for me. It might be due to not being able to consistently read this book, but I was so much more invested in the events with Will. I felt the story was about to take off, and then the switch would happen and everything stalled. Yes it created suspense because I had to find out what was going to happen next, but than I had to read through the next chapter to get back to that.  The best way to describe it would be if a race car was finally traveling at high speeds then stopped suddenly. Then the race car had to slowly build speed again just to stop and do it all again. It was a little irritating.

Still I loved this book and I am so glad I was able to finally spend some time reading it. This was a great story that doesn’t need any prior knowledge to enjoy. The book also wraps up at the end so it can be read as a stand alone. However, this book does give away some big things in earlier books. Read it if you are ok with spoilers. I didn’t know this was going to be the case when I read Fallen, but I am still really enjoying the earlier books even though I know how it ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment