Friday, August 30, 2013

Day of the Night Crawlers by Troy Cummings


In case you haven’t read my All About Me post, I am the proud father of two amazing kids. My son is 3 almost 4, and my Daughter is only 3 months old. Because of these kiddos I read a lot of children’s books. This means that from time to time I will have some reviews of those books on my blog. I love to read and write so I will be posting these reviews to possibly help other parents decide on new books for their kids.

I really enjoy reading to my son. When my daughter gets older I will read to the both of them, but for now reading is special Father/Son time, or Mother/Son time when my wife takes a turn. We both try to read to him equally because we both are avid readers and we want to teach the importance of books.

My son loves Superheroes, cars, tools, and monsters. This book was perfect to read to him. The publisher suggests this is for ages 5-7, and when it comes to reading level I would say that's about right. However, there is nothing in this book that is inappropriate for younger kids and it isn't scary. It's a fun story about three kids trying to protect their little town. It is a very good beginners adventure story.

This book starts out with a rain storm and so many night crawlers all over the ground that you couldn't walk without squishing one underfoot. Alexander and Rip are two boys who have stumbled onto a Monster notebook and they are sure that the Mega Worm is to blame. This is a small blue worm that when exposed to sunlight becomes gigantic and can eat kids. Little did they know they had bigger fish to fry.

My son did enjoy this book. I asked him a few questions about it and here are his answers.

What was your favorite monster?
                The Tunnel Fish

What did you like about the book?
                How the boys fight and save the kids.

What was the grossest part?
                The worms squishing when they stepped on them.


We had fun reading this book and I look forward to reading more in the Notebook of Doom series. 

7 comments:

  1. I have a 4 year old and an 18 month old (both girls). The only physical books we really have left are books for the kids. Sometimes I'd like a boy so I can do monsters, and Spiderman, etc. Both girls are turning out to be girlie girls, no matter how hard I try to get some Spiderman in there. But always good to see what kids like (wife is an elementary school librarian). Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a big Batman fan and it is nice to have a son to share that with. I totally understand what you mean by only having kids books left. I do have a problem in that when we go to the book store, the kids get books and I do as well. You can only read goodnight moon so many times before It drives you crazy.

      Thanks for reading and commenting. I always enjoy talking about books.

      Delete
    2. After buying our nooks we donated our paper book collection to the local library. Just don't have the space for massive amounts of books anymore, even if it's still a preferred way to read. E-books are just too darn convenient.

      We change up the reading routine by bringing the 4 year to the comic book store. I try to steer her to Little Gotham, but it will always be My Little Pony (sometimes we can get a Scooby Doo in there). Good to read something besides Goodnight Moon or Pete the Cat.

      Delete
    3. We have Kindles and don't buy paperbacks anymore. I just couldn't get rid of all my books and I still collect hardbacks of my favorite authors.

      If you are heading to the comic books shop you might want to try looking at Tiny Titans, it is pretty cool and she might like it. There are girl superheroes in it. You can't go wrong with Scooby Doo though.

      I've actually never read Pete the Cat, I'll have to look into that.

      Delete
    4. There's a bunch of Pete the Cat books and they have sing-songy parts, so kids like them. Mine is fond of I Love My White Shoes and Four Groovy Buttons.

      I'll try the Tiny Titans thing, but it's pretty tough to get her to agree to anything that isn't My Little Pony or Disney Princesses.

      Delete
  2. I like children's books, and this one sounds cute. In the future, perhaps you could share an illustration or two from the book just so that we can get a look inside. I thought of you and the kids the other day when I came across a cookbook called RELISH. It's part graphic novel, part cookbook, and very cute and informative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of these days I'll figure hour the best way to include illustrations. That cook book sounds neat.

      Delete