Saturday, July 27, 2013

The Kill Room by Jeffery Deaver




I have been a huge fan of Jeffery Deaver since I read the Bone Collector for the first time. Since then I have hunted down every one of his books and I am always preordering the new ones on amazon.com as soon as I can. Needless to say he is my favorite author. When this showed up on amazon.com for preorder I jumped on it and waited anxiously for it to be released. When it arrived I wasn’t able to start the day it landed on my doorstep and I was in a reading slump. So starting off I had some mixed emotions with this book.

This book is a bit different from the Lincoln Rhyme books I have read before, because there is a political aspect. I am not one for political Thrillers, there is nothing wrong with them, I’m just saying they aren’t for me. So when I began reading this and there wasn’t a crime scene for Rhyme and Sacks to investigate. Instead we get a political killing in a different country, a prosecutor who just wants Rhyme and Sachs to find reasons why the victim shouldn’t be painted as a terrorist so she can go after the Government office that ordered the hit was not what I was expecting. However, I always give Deaver the benefit of a doubt and kept going. I was so wrong in my initial impressions.

This story is amazing, and once it got going there was plenty of mystery and intrigue, as well as Deaver’s classic twists. When I read every one of his books I try to think like him and figure out the next step, or how this is going to end. I thought this time I had him, I knew what pieces went together and we knew who the killer was by name right off the bat. A little over half way through the book Deaver ripped the carpeting out from under me and everything I knew was wrong. I have always wondered how long Deaver can keep these types of twists going in his books before he becomes predictable. Apparently he still has plenty of skills to misdirect and stump even the most observant of readers.

This book may have had a few slower moments and down spots when compared to his other works, but the characters and plot make up for that in a big way. One of the main reasons I read the Rhyme series is for the characters. Each book is its own individual story so they can really be read in any order, but when you read them in the order they were written you get to see the relationship between Rhyme and Sachs grow. I think that the little bit of relationship is just as good as the action itself. They care for each other and are written so well they seem like people you have known for years. You become vested in them as the story progresses. There were a few moments that had me holding my breath as I read. I couldn’t believe the situations Rhyme found himself in this time around. I didn’t even realize that I had stopped breathing until I got to the end of the action and could feel my lungs burning from lack of oxygen. There is so much I could say about why I loved this book, but I must be honest. If you really want to know why I loved this book so much, go read it. I’m so afraid I will give something away; even if I did Deaver would still find a way to shock each reader in different ways. I loved this book and can’t wait to see what he comes up with next. Aside from a bit of a slow start this was a thrilling read.

No comments:

Post a Comment