Monday, July 22, 2013

The Bone Collector by Jeffery Deaver



I have been wondering what to post for my first official post. Of course my first post was the all about me stuff but I wanted to get started on my reviews. It was actually a difficult task at first, because I am proud of my reviews. So which to use? Well. after thinking about this I figured I would share an old review for the book that started my love of reading. 

This is my all time favorite book. When I was in high school I hated to read. The only books I would read were the cheesy movie knock off books. I read Mission: Impossible, Batman and Robin, and The Saint. My mom had said this was going to be a movie and the movie paperback edition had just come out. I read this book in record time for me, which was really any time faster than a month, and was captivated. No book had ever held my attention, or kept me up at night with a flash light because I had to find out what happened next.

Jeffery Deaver was the first real author I had ever read and he left an impression on me that has inspired me to be the avid reader I am today. He is also one of the reasons I want to be an author myself someday. Since reading the Bone Collector I have read every one of his books, including those that haven’t been in print for years and never will be again. I searched so hard years later to find a hardback first edition of this book and found one. In 2010 I met Deaver for the first time and had him sign my copy.
 
Deaver's character Lincoln Rhyme, is so well written that I connected with him. I liked the way he solved crimes with just the tiniest bit of evidence. When I got to college I decided to study forensics so I could learn more about the processes and techniques in this book. Taking these classes  showed me just how much research Deaver did for the character. I really gained respect for Deaver's writing knowing that he put in so much work to create his characters and stories. 

The Bone Collector is a vicious killer who leaves clues to his next victim at the crime scene. The victims are left in some of the most grisly situations and the suspense is so intense I had a hard time sitting still. I couldn’t read fast enough. This book and the writing style of Jeffery Deaver brought the joy of reading into my life, and helped me expand my horizons to find some of the best authors I have ever read.Having read hundreds of books since I have yet to find a book I connect with as much as this one. Some have come close, but nothing has matched this book. I will recommend this to anyone and everyone looking for a great read with lots of twists and turns.

2 comments:

  1. Deaver is fun to read. I think the book that made the greatest impression on me was The Coffin Dancer. I still get the chills thinking about that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of them are good in my opinion, but as much as I like Coffin Dancer, I have to say Vanished man and Cold moon are even better.

      Delete