Thursday, July 25, 2013

Green Lantern Corps Vol 1: Fearsome by Peter J. Tomasi


I love Green Lantern, he has quickly become one of my favorite super heroes. I’ve always liked reading about Hal Jordan and his adventures. From time to time his book crosses over with the Green Lantern Corps title. Normally I only read those story lines that cross over, but with things starting over with The New 52, I figured I would give this a shot. I am so glad I did.

This series revolves around all the Green Lanterns throughout the Universe, but at the forefront is two of the Green Lanterns from Earth, Guy Gardner, and John Stewart. I have never really liked Guy Gardner because he was always arrogant and a show off. Not the kind of personality I care to read about when it comes to a super hero. Reading this book I see that a lot has happened to Guy Gardner and he has calmed down quite a bit. The characters are written well and I think this series is one I will be following closely.

In this story we find a new breed of villain attacking the Green Lanterns. These villains can defend against the will power of the green ring and dish it out themselves. They are powerful and running through as many Lanterns as they can till they get to OA to take the central power battery. The mystery of these new foes is what really makes this book interesting so I don't want .

About midway through this story Guy and John as well as a good bit of the Corps is divided against these attackers. We get to see how each character deals with their unique situation. This really gives a good look into each of the main characters. There are some tough decisions to be made by each, and the extent of their emotions and character are tested. With all that is going on we get to see a glimpse into the guardians of the universe. These are the creators of the Green Lantern Corps and it seems like they are up to something only they know about.Possible foreshadowing for later issues maybe???

I really liked this story and I already have the next graphic novel in the series. I can’t wait to see what trials John Stewart and Guy Gardner will face with the rest of the Corps. I am officially hooked on this series. I have enjoyed catching up on all the heroes I have missed since I stopped buying weekly issues.

2 comments:

  1. I've got this on hold at the library!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really impressed. I'm really looking forward to Vol 2. I actually won Vol 2 on Goodreads. DC sent the hard back edition and I'm really excited. I look forward to reading your thoughts on this book too.

    ReplyDelete